Sunday, August 29, 2010

Queenie's Treasury

Reader, I apologize. I have been remiss in my duties. This edition of the Treasury is a day late, and for that I am truly sorry. But I think it's super-fun, extra-glam edition, so hopefully the shininess will make up for the lateness, yes? Let's get to it!

First up, something a bit out of the ordinary for the Treasury: fashion. Hermès has launched an amazing website called J'aime mon carré (In English, that's "I love my scarf.) that showcases a ton of awesome ways to tie your Hermès scarves. Now, that being said, you certainly don't need one of the iconic scarves to use the techniques; any scarf will do, really, assuming it's a decent-sized square. So have fun - I expect to see many of you sporting the Bandeau Sixties, stat.

Next up, a little something to spruce up your purse - or, in my case, my bathroom. See, I'm famous - or, rather, infamous - in my family for never having tissues around. The reason? I think Kleenex boxes are, without exception, hideously ugly. I don't see why I'd invest in them, save when I have a terrible cold. And I've yet to meet a tissue box holder that I like, either. That may have changed, though. I know this gold leather pouch is meant for one's purse, but I don't see why I shouldn't use it at home, do you? Me likey.
Last, an interesting news item. A man from Portland, Oregon was banned from a local sushi restaurant for confronting the staff (gently, but in front of other customers) about their choice to serve Atlantic bluefin tuna, one of the most endangered fish in our waters. Now, I agree - he should have waited and taken his complaint to the owner in private. That said, no one should be eating or serving Atlantic bluefin at this point, and I'm shocked by the number of people I know who don't know/care about this. So, yeah. Eat a different kind of tuna, folks. It ain't that hard. (Need more guidance? Check out this frequently-updated guide to sustainable fish-eating from the Monterey Bay Aquarium.)

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin