Friday, August 20, 2010

Seven days, no meat. Really.

I am about to embark upon an exciting challenge, my lovelies. Beginning Monday, I'll be going meat-free for seven days. Not to worry - I have no intention of turning vegetarian on you (though I have a lot of respect for those who can survive without bacon). No, it's nothing quite so drastic.

I'm participating in my friend Lorna Yee's second Meat-Free Week challenge. (Check out the results of her last Meat-Free Week over here!) After all, abstaining from meat - even only occasionally - is a good thing for your heart, the environment and, frankly, your roster of recipes. It's a challenge of will (I predict bacon smell-induced whimpers sometime around Day Four), but mostly an exciting chance to think a little differently about how and what I eat, and an opportunity to get my protein elsewhere. Nuts, eggs and beans, anyone?

I hope at least a couple of you will join me (and Lorna, and the other Meat-Free gauntlet picker-uppers) on this journey. I think it will be a good time, especially given the incredible bounty of the Greenmarket these days. Between corn, fairy tale eggplant, tomatoes, cucumbers, greens, eggs, potatoes, beets, green beans and peaches, who needs meat? Not me.

Hopefully. (After all, I can still eat dessert.)

2 comments:

miya said...

i know you'll hate this idea, but i love making tofu fries--drain a block of extra firm tofu, and then kind of smush the water out of it by wrapping it in a tea towel and setting something heavy on top (i like to use my cast iron pan with a canister of beans on top). leave it like that for 30 mins or so, then cut it into fry-dimensioned pieces (usually 4 cuts the long way and 3 cuts depth-wise). Coat in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and broil for like 10 mins or so. You'll know when they're done--they'll be crispy and brownish on the outside. Serve with ketchup mixed with honey, curry powder, and cumin, and you're golden.
xo

Meg Blocker said...

Okay, that does actually sound decent, despite the presence of the tofu. Maybe I will give those a go one night this week...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin